Understanding CE & UKCA Marking


The CE mark on a product indicates that the manufacturer or importer of that product Confirms its compliance with the relevant EU legislation and the product may be sold anywhere in the European Economic Area (EEA). It is a criminal offence to affix a CE mark to a product that is not compliant or offer it for sale.

For example, most electrical products must comply with the Low Voltage Directive and the EMC Directive and would have a Declaration of Conformity document (DoC). Construction products are marketed following harmonised rules laid out in the Construction Products Regulation (CPR) and would have a Declaration of Performance document (DoP).

The CE mark does not indicate EEA manufacture or that the EU or another authority has approved a product as safe or conformant. The EU requirements may include safety, health, and environmental protection. If stipulated in any EU product legislation, assessment by a Notified Body or manufacture according to a certified production quality system may be required. Where relevant, the CE mark is followed by the registration number of the notified body involved in conformity assessment.

Not all products need CE marking to be traded in the EEA; only product categories subject to relevant directives or harmonised standards are required (and allowed) to bear CE marking. Most CE-marked products can be placed on the market subject only to an internal production control by the manufacturer with no independent check of the conformity of the product with EU legislation.


Following Brexit, the UK government introduced UKCA marking as its equivalent conformance indicator and this is required for relevant goods to be sold in Great Britain – although goods with the CE mark (only) can still be used until 30 June 2025. 

As Northern Ireland has remained aligned to the European Single Market under the Northern Ireland Protocol, CE marking remains mandatory for products placed on the market there; although the UKCA mark may be used in addition it is not required. Goods for sale anywhere in the United Kingdom may (and typically will) carry both marks.


Useful Links – UKCA 

​​​​​​​Using the UKCA marking - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Designated Standards- Construction Products - GOV.UK

construction products regulation Great Britain GOV.UK


Useful Links – CE

Construction Products Regulation (CPR) (europa.eu)

CE marking - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Frequently asked questions (europa.eu)

Our Cookie Policy
Our website uses cookies. This is to give you the very best experience. No personal data is being stored or shared by these cookies. By continuing to use our website you agree with our Cookie Policy as detailed in our Terms & Conditions.